At St. Godric’s, we believe that inclusive education means supporting all children to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Our curriculum includes, not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of our children. This also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning, personal growth and development of independence. In some instances, we understand that the curriculum and learning environment may need adapting for our pupils with SEN and some of the actions we may take to achieve this are:
- Differentiated teaching materials, resources, scaffolds and other forms of support
- A range of whole class, small group and 1:1 teaching to meet individual needs and access to the full curriculum
- Additional support in and out of class
- Access to technology, such as iPads or netbooks
- Adaptations to the learning environment itself to make it accessible
- Modification or adjustments to the curriculum to meet individual needs
- All staff are aware of, and are sensitive to, the needs of all pupils and will respond and adapt teaching and learning in a way that is appropriate for their needs
At St Godric’s Catholic Primary School, we ensure that all children are offered the opportunity to participate in activities outside the classroom and extra-curricular activities. Reasonable adjustments are made to enable children with SEND to access a full curriculum and to enrich the experiences of all pupils. We are prepared to seek advice, resources, equipment and training in order to provide high quality experiences for our children. Many settings offer support and advice in meeting the needs of children with SEND and offer specific risk assessments which are sent to the school prior to school outings or visits. As a school we ensure that suitable and accessible transport is provided and that comprehensive risk assessments cover travel arrangements to ensure that all children are safe during excursions.
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you ca find in the School Policies section of our website.